Tuesday, July 16, 2013

When Kepra stopped working




Life was good again.  My sweet girl was feeling good.  She had started eating again, and had a happy, pink glow.  She was still skinny, as you can see in the pics from that time, but definitely on the mend.  We finished up our homeschool year, and went on vacation.

My awesome husband is a vacation snob.  He likes to be comfortable.  We have a big family. This translates into house rentals.  He wants a nice, big house, but doesn't want to pay for it.  He somehow, over the phone, charms realtors into finding us virtual estates, with many bedrooms for a fraction of the asking price.  I don't know how he does it, but real estate agents all over the country love to find deals for him.

So, we were staying at a beautiful historic home in San Antonio, with a huge, heated pool complete with diving board.

OK, we thought it was heated. It wasn't.  It turns out older homes look great in pictures, but not everything works.  So, I got into the pool and got out.  So did the oldest son and husband.  I never even let the baby try.

But the kids, you know, the ones ages 6-12, didn't care.  They'd swim in the pool until they were blue.  If I'd let them.

Now, I knew Elisabeth had epilepsy, and that swimming was dangerous,  so, I watched her very closely. But she hadn't had a seizure since she started her med, so I let her swim.

She jumped in for the the thousandth time, then swam to the side.  She ran up the ladder, and then to me.  She said "um."  "um."  "a cat."  "a cat"  "where's the cat" "um".

She didn't blank out.  But she was talking funny.  "Honey, are you OK???"

"Yes, I just felt funny, so I had to get out."

The knot was back in my stomach.  "That was almost a seizure.  Maybe it WAS a seizure!!"

My husband, Scott, saw the whole thing.  "She was just cold.  Temperature changes make her feel funny.  That's all."

And it didn't happen again until after her appt the next week.

Dr. Abid said it might have been a seizure, she wasn't sure, but she'd up the Kepra to 6 mg., just to be sure.

And, after upping the med to 6 mg, she had another one.  A real one.  Within the week.  Except this time it was worse.  This time she drooled.

1 comment:

  1. You told us some of these things on WTM Friends but not all the details. My mama heart just breaks for you. I pray the surgery has completely healed her.

    ReplyDelete